ADWORDS HIERARCHY OF NEEDS (ADWORDS ROAD TO SUCCESS)
The purpose of this post is to act as a road map for businesses to grow online, become more profitable and be more successful. Each step in the process may be impacted by how the previous steps have been implemented. The steps don't have to be completed or commenced in this order, but in many cases we recommend they are. As you progress through the steps, you will often need to iterate through previous steps again.
LET'S START WITH A BASIC ASSUMPTION.
The primary goals for most AdWords campaigns are:
- To drive traffic to your website
- To complete goals on your website (product sales, form submission, page view, etc)
- To build brand
To illustrate this road map, I have borrowed from Maslow and the field of psychology to create what I have termed "BigTurns' AdWords Hierarchy of Needs". And please understand that this post was written in the early months of 2012 and may be be out dated with new technologies and new AdWords developments.
Before you can go anywhere with your AdWords Campaign, you need to have your basics covered. Just as Maslow stated that the physiological needs of breathing, food, water, sex, sleep, homeostasis, and excretion must be satisfied before one can worry about safety, BigTurns' AdWords Hierarchy of needs states that the basics must be covered before one can advance to traffic generation.
1. AdWords professional to set up your campaign settings.
- BigTurns, 314 Marketing, Freelance Designers .
2. Website design with defined goals (call to actions)
- BigTurns, Sparktank Creative, Freelance Designers.
3. Website analytics program.
- Google Analytics.
4. Reporting structure to identify campaign results.
- Custom Reporting by your AdWords specialist.
BASIC REPORTING SETUP
Before starting your AdWords campaign you need to set up the reporting structure so that you know how your campaign is performing, where the opportunities are, where the threats are, what keywords are generating profits and which are not. You need a reporting structure with "actionable insights" to help those involved with the campaign make the right decisions based on analytics and accountability.
There are (3) basic reports detailing performance of the campaign for the various parties involved.
1. C-Level Report
- Total return vs Total spend over a specifc period of time
- Strengths of the campaign
- Weakness of the campaign
2. Marketing Managers Report
- Campaign conversion rates
- AdWords Cost per click, click thru rate, website conversion rate, cost per conversion
- Revenue per click
3. Analysts' Reports
- Report on each segment's performance (Keyword, Display Ad, Landing Page, Goal)
- Trend reports showing change over a period of time
Traffic Generation/Campaigns in the AdWords Hierarchy of needs are Maslow's Safety needs. As with the basics (or physiological needs), Traffic needs are very important. You won't be very successful if you can't effectively and efficiently drive traffic to your site.
1. Campaign Strategy
2. AdWords settings
3. Keyword Research
4. Display Ad writing
All of the above (4) activities are equally important. You need to understand the options available and choose wisely. An AdWords professional can take you through the steps to creating your campaigns for structured results.
WEBSITE CONVERSION & USER EXPERIENCE OPTIMIZATION
In the AdWords Hierarchy of Needs, Conversion & User Experience Optimization parallel Maslow's Love/Belonging needs. Just as humans aspire to create friendships, have families and have intimate relationships, your AdWords campaign should strive to offer a great user experience and create positive relationships with its visitors. These relationship will lead to greater conversion rates and a stronger brand perception.
LANDING PAGE SET UP
1. Display ad continuity, Call to actions, Site goals
- In house, 314 Marketing, BigTurns
2. Website Usability testing
- In house, 314 Marketing, BigTurns, Freelance Designers, Raven Tools
- Google Analytics - manage bounce rates, conversion funnels
- Google Website Optimizer - test different landing pages
- Website CMS Platform - create experiments easily
4. Heuristic evaluations, Ethnographic Evaluations, User Testing, Eye Tracking, Mouse Tracking
- 314 Marketing, Analytics Specialists, Raven Tools, Click Tail, Kiss Metrics
5. Conversion Testing
- In-House,314 Marketing, BigTurns, Analytics Specialists
Advanced features in the AdWords Hierarchy of Needs are equivalent to Maslow's Esteem needs. Advanced feature needs are similar to Esteem needs in that they are often never achieved or reached. You can succeed without meeting these needs, but you will be more successful if you do meet them. So your goal should be to do so.
1. GOOGLE'S REMARKETING
- Display ad campaigns to people who have been to your site in the past 180 days
- Have campaigns display based on specific page visits
- Have campaigns turn off based on specific page visits
- Have display ads follow the customer online
- Visit our article on Remarketing
2. VIDEO ADVERTISING
- Advertising on YouTube videos.
- YouTube is the second largest search network in the world.
- 10 different Ad formats
3. GOOGLE MAPS & GOOGLE PLACES ADVERTISING
- Location based advertising
- 1 in 5 searches are related to local
- Drive local action
- Target local users
4. GOOGLE MOBILE ADVERTISING
- The future of advertising
- 3.3 smart phones are being sold today for every PC
- 5 billion active mobile phones world wide
- Location specific opportunities
- Click to call ad campaign opportunities
Branding/Community in the AdWords Hierarchy of needs are Maslow's Self-Actualization needs. Most people or firms will never get to this level. One reason why firms don't get here is that they haven't been able to properly address their earlier needs. Therefore they don't have the time, skills and resources to achieve this level. People can and will perform aspects of the Branding/Community needs level without having progressed through the hierarchy, but to properly build and manage your brand and foster a community of customers, you will likely need to have graduated your way through by satisfying earlier needs.
GOOGLE DISPLAY NETWORK
- Targeting people on the Google Display Network
- Take advantage of both demographics & psychographics of target
- Create display ads in 6 formats (ie. Banner ads, side bar ads, etc)
- Can move to a CPM pricing model - more appealing to Brand Developmen
If you wold like a free consultation please contact us so that we can discuss your strategy.